The Ghana Police Service has revealed that contrary to the 17 deaths earlier announced in relation to the Bogoso explosion, 13 persons have clinically being confirmed dead.
According to the Director of Public Affairs of the service, ACP Kwesi Ofori, the ambulance and other agencies officially registered 190 casualties, with 13 of them being confirmed dead and four others being critically injured.
He was quick to add that the four in critical condition were transported to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital for medical attention.
ACP Ofori disclosed that it was stated that they were dead owing to their condition, but when they arrived at the hospital, authorities said they were not dead and that they were receiving treatment.
A statement dated January 20, 2022 from the Ministry of Information had earlier declared that 17 people perished from the Appiate explosion as at 5:00pm on Thursday while 59 victims suffered varying degrees of injuries.
“Some injured people are still healing in hospitals”, he declared.
In the meantime, 36 people are on admission and 96 people have been discharged, and they will report to the medical authorities as needed.
The Assistant Commissioner of Police also informed the media that about 3,084 people have been displaced, based on statistics from NADMO and other agencies.
Some displaced persons are currently seeking refuge at the Bogoso St. Michael’s Parish hall.
ACP Kwesi Ofori while briefing the media said that Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has visited the hospitals where the victims were taken after the emergency response teams briefed him and his government delegation.
Government has pledged to do everything to support the affected families.
Several Ghanaians have also expressed their sympathies to the victims of the Bogoso explosion via social media #Bogoso and #Bogosoexplosion.