The Tema Region of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) discovered a cable cut on the morning of Wednesday, March 8, 2023, as part of investigations into an outage which occurred at dawn.
The cable is part of a set of new cables which had been laid few days earlier as replacement for some old and worn out cables.
The incident happened at the Smelter Two Bulk Supply Point whichserves areas and industries within the Kpone environs.
The areas and industries served by this Bulk Supply Point include B5 Plus, Mass Industries, Mavis Indistries, Blow-Chem, entire Kpone Township, Community 25, Ghana Steel, Affordable Housing, Adi Steel among others.
“We replaced these cables because Electricity supply to these places had been challenging for sometime now,” Public Relations Officer, Sakyiwaa Mensah told Angelonline.com.gh.
She added: “The new cables had been laid and energised (electricity was running through them)” adding “the cable cut led to another outage.”
“As it is now, the cable has been decommissioned as work has to be done on it before it can be energised again,” she stated.
According to the General Manager for ECG Tema Region, Ing. Emmanuel Akinie, in the interim, the load of customers who did not have supply because of this cable cut has been transferred to other networks and are on supply now while we work to fix this cut cable.
He pleaded with the public to “help protect ECG property and equipment as damages to them, such as this cable cut, end up affecting customers who will not have supply, as well as a cost to the company which has to spend resources meant for other projects on such repair and replacement works”
He further cautioned that such attempts are dangerous as one can easily lose their life.
“When cables are laid, you may not know whether there is electricity in them or not. In this case, while the person was cutting it, there was an explosion which then caused the outage and the person also bolted, leaving behind a hacksaw”. He added that such activities could also cause electrocution as well.