Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection, Dr. Agnes Naa Momo Lartey has assured traders affected by the proposed redevelopment of Makola Market’s Shop A and Shop B that government remains committed to a consultative and humane approach that protects livelihoods while advancing development.
Madam Lartey gave the assurance on Saturday, May 16, 2026, during an engagement with market leaders and traders at Makola.

The meeting followed concerns raised over the redevelopment exercise and its potential impact on market women and men.
Addressing the traders, She said they were not opposed to development but were worried about how the process could affect their businesses and daily livelihoods.

She noted that the government acknowledges the concerns and is committed to ensuring that no one is left worse off as a result of the exercise.
According to the Minister, the engagement formed part of government’s efforts to listen to all stakeholders and build consensus on the way forward.

She disclosed that she visited the market on the instructions of the First Lady, Mrs. Lordina Mahama, after appeals were made by some traders.
Madam Lartey explained that the Mahama administration remains committed to undertaking development with “a human face.” She said the government’s broader agenda is aimed at improving living conditions and reducing poverty and vulnerability.

She added that engagements would continue with all parties involved, including the leadership of the affected traders, to address outstanding issues and establish a clear roadmap for the redevelopment process.

The Minister also appealed to the traders to remain calm and avoid misinformation that could create unnecessary tensions.
She cautioned against unverified claims circulating around the exercise, including allegations relating to the allocation and sale of shops, and said the government would work to establish the facts and ensure transparency.
Madam Lartey disclosed that discussions had already begun with relevant stakeholders, including the Mayor of Accra.
She expressed optimism that continuous dialogue would help resolve the concerns raised by the traders.

She reaffirmed the government’s commitment to sharing the burden of the temporary inconveniences linked to the redevelopment while calling for cooperation from all affected persons in the collective interest of development and progress.
The Minister further assured traders that the government would continue to engage them meaningfully to ensure their voices are heard and their concerns addressed as plans for the redevelopment move forward.








