The Ghana Football Association (GFA) says it has spent more than $2.2 million on the 2019/2020 league season which was officially cancelled on Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
Communication Director of the GFA, Henry Asante Twum, disclosed this hours after the season was declared null and void following the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to him, “2.2 million dollars was spent on the 2019/2020 football season. This comprises money spent by the FA, StarTimes and MTN. The football association spent at least 6,000 Ghana cedis on every match day. These monies went into paying referees, cameramen and VMO’s,” he told Angel Sports’ Saddick Adams.
The FA spokesperson said the decision to cancel the football season has also come at cost to the association.
“MTN made 1.1 million Ghana cedis investment so far. 800,000 cedis in cash and 300,000 cedis in products. StarTimes would have invested a little in excess of 1 million Ghana cedis of which they have paid some. The projections from NASCO for their products are estimated at 1.1 million Ghana Cedis,” he explained.
Meanwhile, the GFA is expected to within the coming days, announce a new date for the 2020/21 football season.